Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Summer Research Projects

I am taking two internet researching classes for credit towards my Librarian degree. In one, I am compiling a list of fuel efficient vehicles, which is more complicated than Googling "list of fuel efficient cars" because I'm also including bicycles, e-bikes, scooters, and motorcycles, as well as expensive electrics and hybrid supercars like the McLaren P1 and Porsche 918.
It is worth pointing out that Jay Leno has entertaining car reviews, and owns not just a garage full of around 70 cars, but also has a staff and a CNC to fabricate repair parts since half of these cars are quite old and long out of production.

The other thing I'm researching, for the second class, is RV living. I posted on that. As a burgeoning librarian, I can tell you that volunteering at a library is teaching me that quite a few librarians are nice people with normal views... but not all of them. Same with the towns libraries are sited in, and the sort of people who wander in might not be the kind you want to deal with long term. Living in an RV means you can drive away from stupid people, and take jobs while living on a campsite or trailer park temporarily, till the job is done. And drive away from badly funded libraries rather than work too hard for too little, as most librarians do. From what I see, library budgets are dependent on tax revenue from property taxes, and those lag on real estate booms and collapse when those bubbles burst, as they often do. When they bust it is time to leave. Owning a house in a state where bubbles pop every few years is a bit silly. You need a house for at least two years or the taxes murder you financially. This describes California far too accurately. So moving via RV or trailer makes sense so long as you work as a librarian. It becomes too nasty a job if you have to take a pay cut and hours cut and then be expected to volunteer for all the events, unpaid. No thank you. I'll leave bad jobs behind. That's what working for the last 20 years has taught me. Don't stick it out. They just stick it to you if you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment