Saturday, October 10, 2015

Avatar (the only one that matters)

Avatar the last airbender, the only avatar that really matters (not blue!) other than the one in Snow Crash, was a wonderful TV show, created by American TV network Nickelodeon for kids, but found itself popular with adults and teens because the writing for the show was so good and regular TV was so bad. It generated buzz online and I eventually watched it, and was genuinely impressed.

Legend of Korra wasn't nearly as popular though it has its good points too, though I won't know till I watch it myself. Since Korra isn't available on streaming, I had to buy it, much like Invader Zim, but it will give me something to ponder during the interregnum between anime seasons.

Particularly since this Fall isn't showing much potential. Wagnaria is over, unless they can give us a season about the hero's creepy mom, which is unlikely to be more than an OVA.

Non Non Biyori season two wasn't as adorable as season one, though it was interesting seeing the teacher was a teenager only a few years ago, so is probably not triangle mouth's mother as I'd suspected.
Triangle Mouth (Renge) of Non Non Biyori
Adorable determination makes me want to get married and have kids. Pity that the local women are either married or crazy or leaving town. So no hope there. I need better choices to invest in a family. I've reached an age where I'm looking at the stacked teachers in these shows, since they are drawn all chesty and have hilarious personalities, usually disaster zones. Often drunks, but hilarious.

There were some comedy aspects to Avatar which fans really liked. They enjoyed Sokka, the un-powered brother who keeps up with the superpowered sibling.
There's Toph, a blind 12 year old girl who is a Master of earth bending.
Turns out I married her. Pity the laughs don't last when it comes time to clean the bathroom or pick up her clothes off the floor or pay the rent. Humor isn't enough to save a marriage. Still, fans loved her, and she gets some great lines in the series. And a crowning moment of awesome. She's also a character in Korra, as an old lady. I am looking forward to seeing that.

Avatar is one of those cartoons which is better than it had any right to be, and you keep trying to switch it to Japanese to see if its different then you remember it was always in English, and isn't an anime after all. It's just that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment