Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Filter Bubble and Tainted Information

I am a scientist. I am an observer of people. What I see I must not ignore, for evidence ignored is tainted. As a librarian, we've been learning about filter bubbles, and how social media harms your access to clean information. Being logged into Google+, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Yahoo, etc, skews any search you do, using your profile to filter results, and this profile tracks you and everything you do, every link you click, and even the ones you don't. Allegedly this is to sell you stuff, but Google started with money from NSA. This is public information, although it is somewhat hard to find these days.

Will I see more evil or less evil when the filter bubble isn't blocking the truth? I think I need to see for myself. Maybe I'll feel a little better about people once I do. Or maybe this will simply confirm my plan to avoid getting entangled with the evil around me, and further remind me to keep my relationships shallow to avoid harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment