Thursday, May 23, 2013

Hairdresser Complaints

The shop where I work is next door to a salon, and the hairdressers smoke and sometimes read but often chat outside the window when I'm bottling stuff. Yesterday I overheard the following conversation between the fake redhead downstairs who's kinda hot, and a tall blonde that's too heavy to be attractive, to me anyway. I couldn't actually see them talking since the window was the wrong place, so I just listened while I worked instead.

"Oh my god, I can't believe them." 

"What?"

"My friends call me a man-eater."

"You do go through a different one every week," admitted the other. 

"It's not my fault!" squealed the woman. "On Friday night I get drunk and pick up a guy, and in the morning he's all "OH SHIT!" and pulls on his clothes and stumbles away."

"Stumbles? He doesn't run?"

"Too tired," she admitted, sounding both embarrassed and proud. 

"Yep, you're a man eater."

"I've been with... like... fifty guys. And they always run."

Another couple girls have come out of their shop after finishing with clients, including the gay brother of one of them. He's new, never seen him before. They join the conversation. 

"Oh my God! Men totally lie," exclaims the gay guy. 

"Yeah, they're totally married. You totally picked up married guys," admitted one of the girls. 

"Oh my god! I'm such a slut. A man-eating house wrecking slut." There may have been tears at this point. 

"Well, its really their fault," suggested one of the girls philosophically. 

"Nope. It's yours. If you weren't such a horn dog none of that would happen." 

They couldn't really object to that truth so the conversation broke up. There were various supportive mumblings and they all wandered back into their shop or went home.

I originally wrote a bunch of commentary about this but eventually gave up and decided that less is more. The conversation itself says all sorts of things and individual bias will twist its meaning into something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment