Friday, February 24, 2017

Weekend Fishing Trips

I was chatting with the @ultralight_backpacking group here in Google+ about food while backpacking. The OP described being the campground manager at Prosser Reservoir, which is NE of Truckee, on the other side of the Sierras from me but part of the same county I live in. Prosser is down on the plateau, one of the places where it resembles high desert, but you can see the mountains clearly. It is in the Banana Belt East of Donner Pass and the high Sierras but up the mountain from Reno.

When I ponder taking weekend breaks from being a librarian, once I start working for a living in my chosen career, I could easily see building a Teardrop trailer to camp in, and one of the above boats to fish with, using oars, and sail with after the fish stop biting, which happens around 9 AM. While I currently think a camper shell on the back of a truck is too small to live in full time, it would be fine for a couple nights of camping at the lakeside. It is possible to park these on the jacks, with them levelled, and go elsewhere for things like groceries, dumping the tanks (if you have them), and getting more water and beer. This is a viable idea, thanks to being single. I don't have to suffer the vagaries of an enraged woman in my life.

I'm taking interest in these things because TV sucks. Anime is dying out. There's too much politics and bias to even find news which isn't more than propaganda of one of the sides, who are each getting more extreme. Boating and recreation is healthier.


The above boat is fascinating for being made out of wood you cut and shape yourself, using epoxy and fiberglass to hold it together, and the result is lighter than a plastic boat or foam-core boat. The above boat is also interesting because you can add oarlocks to row it, a daggerboard and removable mast to sail it, or even a small motor to drive it around with that. You can even use an electric trollling motor if you want. I'd probably want to put in oar and the sail so I could switch my recreation based on conditions. Since I don't want to get wet while boating, that means that a kayak isn't for me. My insulin pump isn't waterproof. If I roll over and right myself I will be fine but my pump will die, and its $6000. Ergo, higher sides are needed. I might also be clever and put some ballast rocks wrapped in a towel on the bottom of the boat to keep it stable.
I'm also reasonably sure I can fiddle with sails and mast setups for any type I like. I'm learning a fair bit from other building sites, and found a useful resource on ballast and "righting moment". Considering my car isn't the sort that can haul a lot of weight, a very light boat, and probably one of these teadrop trailers would work best for me.
They aren't perfect, but they're pretty cool. And warmer than a tent. I don't enjoy sleeping on hard ground and being freezing cold when I want to sleep either. The construction methods used makes it really strong for its weight, and its very light. The roofrack could probably hold one of these boats I like. And the oars. And the mast. Or I could put it on the roof of my car, using a modified hitch-mount, which is probably better. Especially if I'm clever about integrating leverage and the dolly to roll it down the ramp into the water, or across the ground there. I can do these things. It is better to use tools to help yourself than rely on others you can never count on when it matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment