Wednesday, March 8, 2017

The Mechanical Engineer's Conundrum

In a series of several linked novels I wrote in the 1990's I included a bunch of gun stuff. A bunch of it was wrong. I didn't actually learn to shoot until 2000. Then I learned a LOT of things. Including that I was wrong about many things I'd previously put into my prior writing.

Since then I've been fiddling with theoretical designs and adapting mechanisms, some in the real world and some based on readings, photos, and videos. I even got into various calibers, wildcats included, to try to figure out the appropriate ones for my region, and thus my stories. I eventually came up with some good ideas, but now I'm afraid to post them because there's a lot of scum out there who would use what I invent to hurt people on my side. And that's the trouble with good design. It can be used against you. Even vague descriptions would be useful to the bad guys. This is frustrating.

Even knowing the SBR rules, and the workarounds to a good carbine without breaking that, and the workaround for suppressors using porting and heat shields. And the counterweight piston to create smooth action to reduce felt recoil, and a telescoping bolt, and the trick to fixing both op rod weight and bullpup trigger flex, and forward ejection, and even multistack magazines that work without tumbling. I know how to build all of that. And when I move to another state I will get the license to do so, a Class 3. I'm even reasonably sure I can mod an AR-10 into a bullpup with the above features so I can finally build and shoot 270 ARM. And 6x45 PDW. But I don't want gangers and Islamic murderhoboes having access to them. So I can't build them, to protect us.

I'm probably better off taking most of these skills and applying them to aerogel fiber and weaving machines that will make canvas for car panels and boat parts, and knit for personal bulletproof vests and jerkins (pullover that hangs past the waist). Cheap enough, it will stop rifle bullets and still be comfortable to wear daily. Aerogel is sort of like the polysaccaride in spidersilk, but it is silica, not carbon. It is a wonder material, and really useful for many kinds of vehicle parts. It is safer to distribute in the world. It is harder for gangers to use against me. The ideas I have using these materials would make for a truck camper that weighs half as much. Same with a teardrop trailer, or an A-frame popup trailer.

I have also given real thought to applying these materials to RVs and trailers, upgrading their existing vacation capacity and minimalist living features to something a bit lighter, more portable, and better able to provide utilities for longer while you dry camp (without utility hookups). Most have no suspension, or very primitive suspension. They could go faster if it was better. A really modern suspension could be based on the McLaren MP4-12C, scaled up to the trailer weight. I also thought about applying using that same system to apply lean to the trailer. It wouldn't take much to make it corner better. Finally, I thought about using electric motors to charge a battery onboard and then release it into the wheels to assist in climbing steep mountains.

And how about processing grey water into clean, either for reuse or for dumping (dumping clean isn't harmful). Or using that same grey water into a second stage process into distilled so it is safe. You need lots of solar panel power for that. And you need a serious pack of LIFEPO batteries to hold it.

These are solutions to existing problems. Better answers to the direct confrontation that mostly results in helping evil, and wiping out the best of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment