Sunday, March 10, 2013

Corned Beef

My best friend, That Guy(tm) is Irish. Scotland was settled by Irish people (and others) after the glaciers melted 10,000 years ago. I enjoy reminding myself that Gaelic culture is really old. The Irish peoples have stone and bronze age artifacts dating back 37,000 years on that island. Pause and consider. When someone goes on about ancient middle eastern cultures I roll my eyes at how naive they are. Worshipping their newfangled hate-gods? Pah! Irish gods have weaknesses. They can be tricked. They die. None of this crazy sky god crapola. Irish gods walked among us. They built the Giants Causeway. According to legend anyway. Its actually a basalt dike and columnar basalts are ridiculously common, being part of every sea floor. There goes Geology, ruining all the fun of legends.


St. Patrick's Day is coming up in a week. I am not Catholic. I'm going to be busy, and Dad won't eat Corned Beef, so I bought it for myself and I'm cooking it now. Its hard to get wrong if you start with one of those kits in a bag in the meat section.
  1. Put meat in a pot. 
  2. Add sliced cabbage and carrots. 
  3. Add water till the meat floats. 
  4. Slow simmer for hours. 
This is really not hard. The result is tasty, but don't eat the little white balls. Those are white pepper and will make your guts rebel. Thankfully, the spice kit contains caraway seed, which kills the gas from boiling cabbage. I usually just eat the veggies the first day. After that they're nasty so throw them away. Same deal with stew and pot roast.

I will be making mashed potatoes too. I have them and its easy. I even got sour cream for 79 cents. Whoohoo?

No comments:

Post a Comment