Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Parts Unknown

I have been watching episodes of Parts Unknown with Anthony Bourdain. It is a foodie travel show, with post-modern narration by chef Bourdain and camera work by CNN, of all things. Some of the places he goes I'm not very interested in, like Libya, but Montreal? That was fascinating. So was Tokyo at night, and Colombia, and I've really enjoyed watching his visit to Spain. It doesn't make me want to go there particularly, but it does save the trouble and the best part about travel, besides new vistas, is the food. I am a foodie, but I cook so I can afford to be. And not everything I see him eat are things I'd want to eat, myself. I'm not terribly excited about eating identifiable organ meat, for instance. And large chunks of black truffle? That's food for snobs, for showing off. Human beings eat food that is both tasty and affordable. I'm way more interested in that steamed bun made with pike meat and served with a cream sauce. And the sausages without the nasty non-meat inside, those looked tasty. That's pretty interesting to see foods worth eating, served in ways I'm reasonably sure I can make for myself. Just no Beaujolais. That is "fresh" wine, unoaked, and tastes like rocket fuel. Beaujolais will get you drunk, but gives a fierce hangover and is only drunk by tourists who don't know better. No wine before its time!

Once more, I appreciate the collection of cookbooks at my library. Those plus the ebullient praise of Bourdain for the cheerful chefs showing off, I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment