Thursday, September 3, 2015

Where Hulu Is Going Wrong

Hulu.com started as a place that legally streams TV shows, many of them old, and obscure or retro programming, interspersed with current run programming you missed or forgot to record. Originally, it had no commercials, like Cable TV used to be. Then it got some commercials, but 30 seconds per break wasn't terrible. And you could click on a feedback button 'not interesting to me' if it was inappropriate. I don't have lady parts, so lady part medication isn't a useful advertisement to me. And they wouldn't show it to you again. Those were the good old days.

Now Hulu has

  1. Taken away the feedback button 
  2. Their commercials use more bandwidth than their shows (and can crash your PC) 
  3. Commercial breaks are upwards of 200 seconds (3 minutes) like commercial TV 
  4. The ONLY reason to keep using Hulu is that they get content exclusively, with ostensibly better legal access compared to YouTube. 
  5. The commercials are so long, and so irritating that even Sorta Marge leaves you wanting to go elsewhere. 
Also, since Microsoft is pushing Windows 10, a touch screen operating system, onto desktop PCs that don't have touch screens... why would I want that? Even free, why would I want that? Windows 7 works great. Its like Windows 95 was properly finished and works exactly as claimed. I still get occaisional blue screens of death, usually associated to my graphics processor overheating. And maybe one day I'll upgrade the CPU and board and get more RAM. But for now my PC works fine, and Office 2013 is nice. Would that even work in Windows 10? I don't care enough to find out. I need Office for school. It would be nice if Microsoft would let you remove the notice. It is hogging RAM while sitting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment