Thursday, November 8, 2012

Defiance Eggs

So, eggs are cheap protein. We need protein to stay alive. Eggs are not that tasty served the American Way. We boil them, which is nasty. We scramble them but leave them runny. We cook them sunnyside up but not quite long enough for the yolk to go solid, or too long so its hard. I don't like those ways.

When I cook eggs sunnyside up, I use a splash of water and cook 4 minutes on lower heat with a lid to contain the steam. This makes the yolk soft but solid, not runny. Much better tasting.

As for scrambled eggs, I hate runny. Hate it. Runny eggs just scream salmonella poisoning to me, plus they taste like snot. Cook them a few minutes longer, and start the pan hotter to avoid this problem in the first place.

A trick I've learned from the Japanese to make eggs extra tasty involves a splash of Soy Sauce when you mix them in the bowl. Cook till the runny is all gone starting with a hot pan with oil, then turned down after a minute or two. When they're done cooking, sprinkle them with Parmesan cheese. NOT BEFORE! For some reason, eggs stop cooking the moment you put cheese on them, so if they're runny when you put cheese on, they will remain runny forever. I always keep some Parmesan in my fridge for things like this. Parmesan goes with many things. And makes them taste better.

Boiled eggs are not something I eat if I can help it. Sliced, disguised, mashed up in potato salad is okay. Its a good way to hide protein in carbs. Eggs are good in breads and muffins and pancakes and waffles and cookies. That's hiding protein in food, so you won't die so easily in this American Economy. That's what you people voted for. Try and survive your choices. 

2 comments:

  1. I like poached in a poacher which keeps liquid water off of the eggs. Steamed, you might say. With soy sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds pretty good, actually. Ever tried mixing mayo with French Dijon mustard as a sauce for poached eggs? It's pretty tasty. Put that between a couple slices of toast or English muffin, maybe some ham if you have it, a slice of cheese, its an upscale quick breakfast. Serve with coffee or Earl Grey tea.

    ReplyDelete