Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Winter Storms #3

Storms are coming tomorrow and the rest of the week which are expected to drop a cumulative total of 3 inches of rain in Sacramento, 6 inches where I am, and 12 inches in the high Sierra. These storms are causing flood warnings. The reason this is rain rather than snow is the Atmospheric River I posted about a week ago is on the way. This is pretty typical for California. We've even had these kinds of Pineapple Express storms (coming from Hawaii) on New Years Eve, many times. I expect them then, but I don't always get them. In the 1990's it was almost predictable to have heavy warm rains and flooding New Years Eve. Sometimes the Rose Parade in Pasadena would get drowned out and delayed. We expect this.

The Sacramento Bee (newspaper) predicts rains and flooding sufficient to threaten the levees holding back the rivers from giving low-lying neighborhoods the Katrina treatment. Flood warnings are mostly about keeping some emergency supplies in your car, be prepared for power outages, and know your escape routes. Staying with friends outside the flood zones is usually the best idea for these kinds of storm events. The smart people drove away from New Orleans days before Katrina hit. Smart people should have left the coast before Sandy hit. Not nearly enough did. I hope the people in Sacramento are thinking hard about the storms and the repair crews are being realistic about the levees. A radio would be invaluable, as information prevents or ends panic and restores civilized behavior.
Red Means Rain, lots of rain.

Right now we just have overcast skies with high clouds. Its chilly but not cold, and I expect the temps to rise before the rains fall. The air, after all, is coming from Hawaii. There will be strong winds and then the rain will pound up from the South. Snow levels will be very high, 7000-8000 feet so this is not a good time for skiing, sorry. Last evening I got to attend a belated Thanksgiving with family friends in this area and met some young folks who work the ski resorts around Tahoe, Alpine Meadows specifically. Its beautiful up there, if you can manage to live with the snow. It takes a lot of money and you have to live cheap because being a ski lift operator does not pay very well. You do it because you love it. To survive, they band together and co-rent a house. I envy their willingness to share. Its good for them and they're young enough it doesn't bother them much. I like my privacy, but that's something I've had to give up in order to survive in this crappy economy. They are a little bummed that these storm won't give them much snow. After the storms pass, the temps will likely drop and its possible we'll get some storms from the NW, coming down from Alaska. If so, there will be lots of snow. It IS that time of year.

I wish them well on their journey back up the mountain. Driving through black ice and crusty snow isn't any fun. SUVs are justified for that. I think I'll be eating soup while the rain falls. Its been a few weeks since I made clam chowder. I could make it again. I always enjoy listening to the spatter of rain on the windows and roof, and the wall I built with my Dad remains straight and strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment