Friday, July 18, 2014

Book Review: Bloodstar (Star Corpsman 1)

Interesting hard scifi, complete with the traditional FTL, but non-traditional aliens, which I found interesting. In this series, alien life is very common, but not all of it talks to each other much. Most planets with water under their frozen surfaces have life under the ice. The author writes about medicine, and the advantages of nanotechnology to battlefield medicine. Very interesting stuff, actually. Normally, medicine is pretty dull stuff, lots of the same things over and over again, and not much changes. It is reasonably easy to learn because it doesn't change. It is easier to understand than programming computers. There's only one body, after all.

It is pretty interesting to have a story where the main character is a doctor, and rather than be focused on shooting people with space guns, they fix people shot by them. That's very different. And I rather enjoy it. Of course, I'm a mature person so a lot of the traditional topics of scifi bore me. And I understand better than most that we've living history, so someday people will still be people, even with different technology and different patterns of living. Its a big part of why I'm so passionate about geography.

One of the setting details is the return of the ice age. I'm so pleased to see that in a novel that doesn't suck. Anthropogenic Global Warming fanatics irritate me like pot smoking hippies, flat earth society, militant vegetarians, and all those other religious cults based on money and abuse. He even mentions building the new UN building on the ecuator because the ice in New York has made living there too miserable.

When I finish this one, I'll listen to the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment