Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Shore Park Mobile Homes

There is a mobile home company in McMinnville Oregon which builds really heavy, serious houses under 399 square feet. They are not big enough. You could, if you limit all your stuff and build outbuildings for things like a garage and laundry, make it work with separate buildings. The saleslady suggested the max insulation upgrade. These things are $40K, which is the same most of those microhouses cost, and a lot more space than those were. Pulling this thing to a park or site will be expensive, and probably require a really serious tractor trailer.

Upsides of these designs? They're reasonably quiet inside, the price is pretty good for what it is, and provided you use the right blocks to stabilize the house so its steady and not moving, it would be okay to live in one. Most of the tiny houses I've seen lack a fridge and real stove and real oven. I actually COOK so I need those things.

Would I buy one? Hmm. Well, the bathroom was acceptable, the kitchen was too small. The bedroom had about 1 foot on all sides clearance for a full sized bed, which is a foot smaller than a queen. That would drive me nuts. Additionally, the noise from the A/C and forced air heating was annoying after about two minutes, and that would drive me out of there pretty quick. I like my peace and quiet.

I think they need to be about 5 feet wider, and about 15 feet longer. If a doublewide were build as solid as this, with thicker walls and good insulation and room for the utilities, then it would make sense. As this is meant to be a trailer, towed along roads, probably at great expense and weird hours, this is legally as big and heavy as they can make a mobile home that still grudgingly moves.

I'm okay with building a house, provided I can afford all the fees. As I understand it, modern building permit and inspection fees are around $40K from start to finish, with construction costs and materials and labor on top of that. This is ridiculous. Especially considering there's property taxes involved once it is done. And this in a modern world where people only get minimum wage, part time jobs because that's all that exist anymore. Unless you're a hooker. I need about 800 square feet to be properly comfy. I might be okay with 700. 400 is not enough. Not for me. Still, I imagine a young idealistic poor couple would be glad for the intrinsic privacy, and provided they live in smart places rather than dumb ones, like hateful relatives charging $600/mo for a water hose and a single outlet worth of electricity like that couple in Washington state, if you live intelligently you can be okay with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment