Sunday, July 7, 2013

Caching Update

I first got interested in geocaching years ago, back when GPS was my job, something I was paid to do. I thought it was interesting, but an expensive sort of geek hobby. The equipment prices are far lower now. There are GPS units around $110, pure minimalism but with some flaw. To reduce flaws and gain a few advantages, I went back and forth, researching companies, comments, what makes them unworkable or okay after all. And I seem to have have the right gizmo. Not the pricier but probably very nice Garmin Oregon 450T, but the less pricey by about a third and physically smaller and half the weight eTrex 20. Another Garmin, it will take off-brand free maps from the internet, is waterproof, uses AA batteries so I won't get stranded and is appropriate for my bicycle, if I want to know where I am on an unfamiliar road around here. I'd like to say I remember every road I've ever mapped, but that was 11 years ago so not so much. Too much living other places to keep it all. Rather than buy the thing, I've been researching it, then did the wild and crazy smart thing and asked my best friend, That Guy(tm) to convince me not to buy it. He looked at the reviews, admitted it would be okay BUT, how did I feel about a Smartphone.

Like a fully Android compliant Nexus 4 smartphone. After doing lots of research I still can't verify if this thing would work on my carrier or not. I did learnt that AGPS DOES use the proper satellites, but gets its update processing list off the cellphone server rather than 12.5 minute download off the GPS satellites. One that is interruptible and irritating. What it DOESN'T tell me is if it has an actual 1 inch antenna or not, which is the bare minimum to receive the signal. And you need 4 satellites overhead, being picked up by that antenna, to get a fix. That's how it works. I did this for a living.

The other issues are I want to take this hiking or on a bike ride with me, and the cost of a Nexus 4 is laptop money, which I'd rather have for writing and blogging purposes than a smart phone because the only person I text or call is That Guy(tm) and the other folks I know either call me at home or email me, knowing that's my preference in the first place. Because I can type. Fast. My current phone, which I almost never use, is only $6.33 per month. I rarely get any calls on it, and any number I don't recognize, I don't answer. I never check voicemail because if it was important they'd email me.

I think the Nexus 4 is pretty cool. If I were in the market, I'd get one. It will eventually let you do more of those fun things, like Geocaching (available now), in places with good coverage, and if you're willing to PAY for all the data is uses. Data around here is spotty, towers are often slow to connect and quick to drop calls, and every canyon is a blackout zone. Throw in overhead cedars, which block GPS and cell reception and Satellite TV really well, and its a tougher argument. And its cool that the Nexus 4 will connect to WiFi and let me stream Pandora to earbuds, but those are seriously uncomfortable after about an hour. This is why I listen to music on SPEAKERS. My earholes are too small for standard buds, and my ears stick out too much for over-ear headphones. So while it would do it, off the data network, it would not work any better than what I have now using a donated cable and stereo system on the work laptop. If I lose this job, or quit to work somewhere else, it won't matter anyway.

I'm going to hike whatever happens. I like hiking. I like bicycling too. And strong coffee, and good red wine, and scotch when I can afford it. I like cheese, and chewy sourdough french bread with a crispy crust. These are important things to me. Smartphones just don't rate very highly for me here. I don't have enough friends to make them useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment