Friday, July 26, 2013

Groceries

Went to see my Aunt today. She's doing okay, if somewhat warm. Like me, she uses a fan to keep cool and stays hydrated. We fixed her A/C and showed her how to turn it on. She took a hard spill, at 83 years old, on the sidewalk and was left there by her indifferent neighbors. We've been trying to get her to move up here into a managed home where a spill won't be leaving her alone. So far, no dice.

After the visit, we went to WinCo Foods, an employee owned warehouse grocery store out of Salem Oregon which has them all over the place, including here in California. I was able to get more Silver Spur coffee, this time for $11 for 2 pounds which is still only $5.50/lb for best quality coffee I can drink without cream or sugar (best quality means BEST), just black. They also have my favorite wines for a good price. Being unemployed, I only bought one bottle of Barefoot Cellars Impressions Red (blend) wine. I can enjoy that later. It was $5/btl instead of the usual $7 at the local cheap grocery store. While its a bit of a hassle going to WinCo, since its a drive down to Roseville of nearly a hour, if you're near one, may as well go because it saves a LOT of money on pretty much everything and they have good produce and name brands, in small enough quantities I don't worry about it spoiling. When I lived in Rocklin with my ex-wife, we often shopped there together. Saved a lot of money, let us eat properly. I've become a better cook since then.

We also went to Costco, but everybody on the West Coast knows about them. Good place for meat and better wines and some electronics. Dependable quality, because their return policy makes that certain, but pointless if you live alone. Just a couple blocks from Winco, so we dealt with the hassles and the always-distracted customers, going one way, looking another. In the store, in the parking lots. It's weird as hell. A strong argument for Zombies Are Here, if anything. I really don't know why that is. Its really odd. Same problem at all their locations I've ever visited.


No comments:

Post a Comment