Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sensible Minimalism

Houses are too big, and they've got several important flaws. Most have too little insulation, most have windows that are too big, so lose or gain heat in the worst way. A single pane window is R1. A double pane is R2. A properly insulated wall is R19, though R30 is available for thicker walls. Home heating is a huge cost. And the bigger the home, the more it costs to heat. If you want to cut your costs so you can work less horrible jobs in more places instead of sacrificing your values in exchange for the McMansion, you need to adapt to a smaller space with lower costs. This isn't always possible if you have a big family, but if you don't have a big family, do you really need such a huge home?

I found that as a single man, I'd be plenty fine with about 700 square feet, provided the kitchen and bathroom are large enough to swing my elbows. I like lots of light, but I don't need to see out the windows to have that, and glass blocks are R30. Did you know that? They're unfashionable, but surprisingly useful. And you can mount a stained glass window in front of it, on the inside out of the weather, and change it seasonally. Stained glass can be expensive, but cheaper mylar patterned on stained glass might work just as well, though it can be tacky.

I'm in favor of non-grid connected Solar power because you can cut your heating bills by preheating water all day so you aren't wasting gas or electricity heating it on demand. And in rural areas, gas is propane and costs $200/month in the winter. And A/C isn't cheap either, but PV can power that, or at least can power heat pumps or attic fans, and run extra power to battery backups. Many rural locations where I live experience blackouts for various reasons, summer and winter. Sometimes due to ice, more often to a drunk driver hitting a power pole and dropping the grid. Integrating solar power into a roof design is a really good idea, so long as you OWN those panels. Don't lease them. And don't connect to the grid because selling it back is a lie. A confidence game. You get cheated. And have to pay business utility taxes and conform to utility regulations. Don't bother. Keep the power to yourself. Also, very small homes are really easy to heat since a central heater just needs to circulate the air to a couple or three rooms, rather than a dozen.

I like garden space for veggies like tomatoes and zucchini and garden lettuce. Those are cheaper to grow yourself and get better quality. Squash too. Summer squash, the yellow and crookneck? Sweet and delicious. Fence it to keep out the deer and raccoons, and care for your soil properly. If your home is close to other homes, having the windows clear to view the garden but opaque above the fence means you're not looking at stuff you don't want to see, like the neighbors.

As for a garage, I would very much like a workshop space and room to park at least one car. In the future, most families will probably only have one car, and it will be a compromise for utility. If you are single, like me, you may decide to only drive fun cars rather than completely sensible, but that's on you. When you live alone, you only have yourself to blame.  But you only have yourself to please and can leave the toilet seat up as well. None of this pointed childishness couples that should divorce go through. Having been married I can say I regret staying together with her so long. It was a mistake. And an expensive one. Marriage has no advantage for men. Unless you are a masochist or really enjoy raising children, don't bother. Women cannot understand you. There is no minimalism possible when a woman is involved. Her needs outweigh all sense or reason, and she can't be happy in a proper affordable minimalist home.

The biggest upside to a very small home is they aren't popular so are often cheap. Idiots want huge homes because they want their 2.4 kids and inlaws visiting and a garage filled with useless stuff they should recycle or throw away but don't because their neurotic obsession with hoarding stuff has made them keep what really is trash. A minimalist doesn't keep junk. They sell or recycle and hold onto only what is useful enough to own rather than rent briefly. A minimalist is looking for value so they can work as little as possible to have as much time as possible for their own interests, because, after all, who has a joyful job anymore? Its a myth. Globalism has destroyed gainful employment and happiness. Now instead of some of us being happy, none of us are. We have to make do, since responding in kind would lead to a Bad End.

I really think 1000 square feet is too big for me. A two car garage with one parking space and the other dedicated shop? Yes, I would like that. I suppose I could close off a heating vent in a spare room and just store stuff there, but other than my library, which I'd rather have in front of me, why bother? Guest room? I only have a couple friends. I'd rather have a smaller space that fits me, rather than make excuses for space I don't need.

And someday, when I've paid off enough stuff, or am bored enough, I can use my time and shop space and a TIG welder to build or modify a hot hatchback into some kind of small turbo-charged sportscar good at twisty mountain roads and possibly with dual clutch paddle shifters. Assuming I can get my skills up to that level. Between my ability to weld different metals, properly, and off the shelf components, I should be able to make something good and strong but very light. And with a turbo charger because I like the noise they make. I want brutal acceleration but a car that corners properly. So NOT like an American car. Its a shame that Subaru won't replace heavy steel transfer cases with light aluminum ones. Would probably remove about 250 pounds. Which reduces weight of the chassis since it doesn't need to be as strong if it weighs less. Which also makes it faster. While I like the review of the 2014 Ford Fiesta ST (turbo) and it sounds fun, the torsion arm rear suspension is a way to get killed. It should be all wishbone all around. Building a sports car with wrong suspension shows the wrong sort of compromises. It makes me wonder what else they did wrong.

Minimalism requires you buy the right things, not the wrong things that don't work. This is an important distinction. And good enough often is. Survival in modern times requires budgeting. You really have to be sensible. Thus small houses, few material goods, a willingness to leave stupidity behind or adapt to live around it. This is what you have to do. We don't live in a nice world. We're ready victims for exploitation and nobody is looking out for us so we have to look out for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment