Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Hardcore Mountain Bicycle Commuting

So my 17 year old Honda Accord is potentially dying. The differential is going out. I'm taking it to a shop this week in hopes they can fix it, but if they can't I'm driving it till it dies. If I can't land a paying job before that happens, I either buy something used, or more likely, I ride my bicycle to the volunteer job I'm working till they hire me of I run out of optimism or I graduate with a Library Technician degree and get a paying job somewhere else. And that's certainly possible.
 
To that end, I have been cycling up and down the hills here, so that when I have to do it for real, riding to Nevada City requires climbing a hill, following a ridge a couple miles, then dropping a steep twisting road, then a long slope into Nevada City, cross a bridge and climb another steeper hill where the town is. Naturally, the library is at the top of the hill. And note that a return trip would descend that hill, then climb back up to this ridgetop road, a long climb of about 800 feet from the bottom of the hill at the bridge. On narrow streets with potholes, parked cars, texting soccer moms, drunks, junkies, and dog walkers with long leashes. It would be challenging, to say the least. For those of you who ride in flatlands, these hills require first and second gears and drops you down to nearly walking pace. Due to nearly silent modern cars, you also have to pay attention listening for those creeping up behind you, so no music, you headphones. You listen or you'll get hit. You should also know that 10% of the air is missing because its 2600 feet elevation, just below the snow line, and we DO get blizzards here without much warning. So you wheeze till you adjust to the elevation. Good for training, however.
 
I am running a hard frame mountain bike, no shocks etc, and slick tires to roll easier on pavement. I've replaced the brakes, since the old ones had plastic in a critical load bearing part and failed, and swapped the handlebars for more ergonomic ones, which helps a lot. I am still using the original chain and derailleurs and even pedals, once I adjusted them to move easier. Works great, very smooth. I think this bike had top level parts, other than the brakes. With the replacements, the bike is dandy, and very quick despite being steel. So if I have to bike to my volunteer job, I can. And if I get hired but can't afford a car till I've got a down payment, I can still bike.
 
In the snow.
 
Uphill.
 
Both ways.
 
UPDATE: Took the car to the mechanic, says its too expensive to fix the right way and metal shavings in the gears have likely destroyed them too so replacing the transmission, which is more expensive than the car is worth by Bluebook. I either have to find a used transmission and swap it, possibly doing the work myself since the shop wants $1200 for that labor and its literally 5 bolts and fluids and I already own jackstands. If I can track down a transmission in California, it would be worth it to pick the thing up rather than pay hundreds for shipping. Everybody wants to rip you off. That's America today. A bunch of con men and thieves. I wonder if the Honda is the car equivalent of the iPhone? An invitation to be ripped off?  

No comments:

Post a Comment