Sunday, September 7, 2014

RECIPE: Summer Mint Iced Tea

Iced tea is traditional in America as the predecessor of soda pop, back before we had bubbles, and when those seeking refreshment didn't want to get silly drunk on ale or mint juleps. My mother was from The South, in the boonies no less. I have a second cousin who plays banjo and is famous. He only has the normal number of fingers.

Most people who do iced tea do it wrong. Powder tastes horrible. Its also, unfortunately, too strong. The best way is sun tea, where you hang tea bags in a gallon jug of water in the sun for a few hours on a warm day, then chill the jug a few more hours in the icebox before serving. And I do mean icebox as opposed to the Spring House, which my grandmother used to use for keeping things cold. Iced tea done right is cheap enough that no matter how poor you are, you can afford to make it.

My own preference for iced tea begins with English Breakfast tea, as it is just sharp enough and its black tea, which is far better tasting than green. It has been roasted or fermented. I also use mint. Many people put spearmint in their tea. Others put lemon, to counteract the acid of the tea. I don't like it. This is almost the base of a mojito, only its caffeinated rather than hoochified with rum.

I prefer peppermint in my tea. The best tasting and strongest peppermint tea I can buy commercially is Celestial Seasonings Peppermint. Stash mint tastes stale and not strong enough. A proper peppermint tea bag should be just short of stained with the oil. The kind I buy comes in bags without strings.

  1. So boil 2 cups of water in a pyrex measuring cup, in the microwave. It takes around 4 minutes.
  2. Add 2 bags of mint, 3 bags of black tea.
  3. Steep for at least 20 minutes to get every last bit of flavor and caffeine out of it.
  4. Pour tea into nearly a gallon of water, less the pint, into which you've placed 3 or 4 packets of sweetener. I went with Stevia. It doesn't screw with my bloodsugar so this is a free food.
  5. Pour tea into jug, pour jug into measuring cup, repeat a couple times. 
  6. Cap the jug and place into the fridge a few hours before serving.

Serve in a tall glass with ice. I find it lasts me several days and exactly hits the spot when I'm dehydrated and tired from shelving books for hours. Works a treat.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment