Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Blizzard

The weather reports in Sacramento predicted light snow, nothing to stick, and don't worry about it. So I went to work despite snowflakes falling on my car. Because it wasn't sticking.
This isn't bad. The street is still clear. Its cute. Just a little snow.

By noon I needed to go home and there was 3 inches of snow in the parking lot, 4 inches on the street, and traffic was starting to back up. I headed home and found the main road up the hill completely blocked. So I went around, which was a mistake. That was blocked to, and I had to be pushed 4 times by a nice lady behind me in a green SUV. My car needs chains. Even then, iffy. They're far far away, down the mountain, because it wasn't supposed to snow here so I really didn't need them, right? I needed them. Big time.

It is still snowing. The blizzard is now the primary news in the mountains. I barely got home, and there were many times where I had to rock the car, then brake, then again, just to get SOME traction. I need SNOW TIRES. I'm fortunate that I did not wreck. Lots of people have. Some have just abandoned their cars and walked. Its that serious.

I would not enjoy walking through snow with my thin nylon topped hiking boots and my cotton socks. That would not be good. The local kids raised here were mostly just wearing thin sweatshirts, because the weather report said light snow, no sticking. Wrong. It doesn't help that there's a whooping cough outbreak. Thankfully I'm immunized but many kids and adults aren't.

My boss and I both called it a day. She lives downhill, at least, but getting her kids out of the school won't be fun. Sheesh. According to radar, the storm will be over in about an hour, but its going to take all day and night and probably tomorrow to melt it off. I think they'll plow the roads, at least, but then I've got to shovel off the driveway. And hope that the plow doesn't make a huge mess in the process. They have plows out now on the main roads but they aren't keeping up with the snow. Or weren't anyway. I had to use my hands to sweep the snow off the glass so I could see, and there was an inch before I finished. It also made my finger tips go numb. Another thing I needed was my gloves! Which are home. Uselessly.

California has these kinds of storms from time to time. We can have a blizzard like this in June, or as early as August. The Sierras are famous for crazy weather that comes in fast. The Pacific can bring a storm into the North Coast and its here in 4-6 hours. That's about the same duration as your average day hike, which is why experienced hikers carry serious layers in a pack with them, even in summer.

And here comes some more snow. Glad I'm home, finally. My insulin reservoir ran out and I didn't have any with me. Not emergency but getting there. Fixed right after I got home.

UPDATE: I have shoveled off my driveway and my neighbors', and both sidewalks. She bakes cookies for me. That's pretty good payment. I would have done it for cookies but she insisted on paying me with cash. So now she can go out after all, instead of being stuck in her house for the next two days. The snow is melting fast, thank goodness. I think the streets will be clear tomorrow. I'm glad because I want to keep working. Apparently, in the MidWest, which is a different country from the West where I live, it is traditional for strapping young men to shovel the driveways and sidewalks of elderly people, for free, because that's basic courtesy and respect for the elders. Here in California, you get paid for that. I was going to do it for free because my Dad would have done it for nothing because our neighbor is a nice lady. However, she is insulted if you don't take payment so there I go. Enough for a couple bottles of really good red wine. So I'm happy. And wine makes the muscles which could be sore all better.  I can't call myself "strapping" or "young" but if a hot MILF wanted some personal time I'm good for that. Considering the stress of driving home today, wine is appreciated.

Morning UPDATE: So the street looks mostly dry and clear so I can get to work, hopefully. I'm worried about shady areas and black ice. This is one of those times where having a late starting schedule is a positive. They start late so the Moms can get their kids to school and have plenty of time to get to work. The local newspapers have articles up about the blizzard. Auburn Journal and The Union has some great photos and a short video of the mess. And keep in mind they don't get such severe snow fall here often. This mostly just happens once or twice a year. Normally, snow falls, melts immediately, its pretty but not a PITA. Yesterday's blizzard is followed by today's clear sunny skies. How about that, right? I expect lots of snow to melt. Of course the thermometer says its only 33'F so any melt is going to be slow. And I hope the hoarfrost all over my car melts soon. Right now its an impenetrable block.

No comments:

Post a Comment