Sunday, February 3, 2013

Tevas, Birkenstocks, and Finding the Balance Between Ecology and Economics

When my wife first moved in with me, she unpacked a pair of Teva sandals with scorpion designs in the straps. Tevas are adjustible and don't poke between your toes so they're really the only sandals that fit me. I wore those things all the time. In retrospect, I should have bought my own instead of always stealing hers, but she also snagged my rock hammer for in-car protection, so I guess we're even? Anyway, when I moved out of UnPton, I left her sandals in her storage space and took only my own property with me.

My mother owned a pair of Birkenstocks, from the early 1970s, that she used to wear around the house. Mom was a nurse and was on her feet all day. You really want your feet to breathe after something like that. Birkenstocks are formed leather, very high quality, very comfortable, durable, and repairable. They're really the ultimate sandal, and they mark you as a Hippie or Hippie Sympathizer. Its often a sign you are an extremist. Its weird how that evolved, but gun racks are the equivalent Conservative Sign, as are NRA stickers. Even though firearms have little to do with politics. Think I'm wrong? Visit the countryside sometime. Lots of Farmers vote Democrat, the same politicians trying to prevent them from protecting their calves and lambs from coyotes, calves and lambs which months or years later will be paying for their mortgage. Firearms aren't politics. They're just an easy button to push. Sandals aren't politics either, but they sort of became such.

As a former Boy Scout, with extensive camping, hiking, backpacking, running, bicycling, and even boating experience, I love the outdoors. I love taking pictures of nature, and going to majestic places, to observing animals and watching the sunrise and the sunset. I love to see stormy skies. Blue skies are boring. I don't fit either extreme that the Washington DC politicians try to pretend exists. It really doesn't. Neither political party serves the middle. They're both bound and controlled by their extremists and its hurting everybody. The Middle are the ones who work for a living, after all. We're the ones paying the taxes and making the food, fixing the roads and bridges, paying all the bills. The extremists are parasites.

In this context, I have been walking around barefoot because we're having a drought, and blue skies, and temps in the mid-to-upper 60's. Its slightly chilly in the shade, but the sun feels so good. I have been opening the windows every afternoon and letting the breeze float through. I want my feet to breathe too, and I won't be defined as a pure-Hippie type, not as a gun owner who doesn't hunt (I don't. I did animal rescue). I want sandals. I miss my wife's Tevas. So I bought my own. Just now.
As you can see, they're cast rubber with a basic tread on the bottom and fabric with velcro to stay attached to your foot. A good functional design, and will last for years. Considering I have shirts older than some of my friends, this is no exaggeration. They also cost about 1/3 as much as Birkenstocks do. I know for a fact I can drive a car in these, and shop for groceries, if I'm wearing socks, and nobody bats an eyelash. Up here, many people walk around in Tevas or Birkenstocks, particularly on warm days. In the summer, 105'F is common. The last few years its been cooler, in the upper 90's instead, but still. Sandals are handy when you don't want to sweat all the time. They are functional, and practical.
Tomos Underbone Scooter

And that time I rode that scooter? I was wearing Tevas. Not the best safety gear, but it worked out okay, and it was a warm summer day in Newport Beach. Embrace comfort and don't be an Extremist.

No comments:

Post a Comment