Friday, October 18, 2013

Librarian Cosplay?


I watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer after my ex left me to rot in UnPleasanton. My Day job was a night job and I had no friends, just coworkers, so watching streaming video was a way to relax and destress from daily poisoning at that terrible job. Buffy's watcher, her guide to explain the plot of the week, was a tweed wearing librarian named Rupert Giles and he reminded me of my high school librarian, a very smart and dedicated Harvard graduate. Our high school library had some very good books, including the fiction section. I read 330 of them one year. I got a prize for it. It was all part of my fiendish plan to learn professional writing so I could have a night job as an author. Hopefully paid well so I could do it for a living. Turns out that getting paid more than beer money for writing is extremely rare, like winning the lottery rare.

I liked Giles. He would take off his glasses and polish them when really angry with Buffy doing something dumb so he could think of something to say. Whedon did a good job casting Giles with the actor from the instant coffee commercials a decade earlier. He also set up Giles to always wear tweed jackets. I could do that, wear tweed. I'd look good in tweed. But I clean up nice so its not that shocking. The job interview I went to today was for a librarian position in the local town, and once a week at another site about 20 miles away, a nice drive actually. I can do that. Its not super high paid, but its enough to live on and I could finally get a scooter if I want. Its real benefits and its a long term position, not temporary or unstable. Its very stable. I could have a career that suits me: books. Librarians make much better money than most authors, and much better money than working or owning a book store. They also need hands on IT skills, like I have, to teach people how to use tablet readers or find books on the shelves. It would be okay. It would be pleasant work. Like running a shop without all the money problems and terror of bankruptcy. Libraries are good like that.

I am enjoying my new thermometer. I can watch the temp rise and fall outside, and track the humidity, which is cool. Since I now own a winter coat for those rainy days, I am all set for the change in weather. And its sort of doing that, only we're on lingering daytime warmth and chilly nights and mornings. Not frost yet, but chilly. I'm enjoying the whole thing. It makes me happy. This is my favorite time of year.

If I get the Librarian job I can get a scooter and just grin on my ride across town in vintage gear, then switch to the tweed jacket and it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment