Monday, December 17, 2012

Meatball Soup

One of my discoveries in cooking is that you can make delicious meatballs using sausage cut into pieces prior to cooking. And that spicy sausage will flavor a soup and retain just a little flavor without overwhelming you. I going to be making a soup today, thanks to the heavy rains coming in.

Yesterday was cold, with faint mist which would certainly have been snow if it was 8 degrees colder outside. Today its warmer still, so we've gotten almost 3 inches of rain overnight and this morning, and its still coming down. I love the sound of rain on the roof, the hard spat of a drop the size of a marble nailing a shingle with the force of a hailstone. The Sierra foothills get a lot of rain each year. I'd hate to have been a prospector, living in a canvas tent with a small wood stove, trying to stay warm enough not to get pneumonia and probably failing because they go in and out of the icy water trying to get enough gold from the gravel to pay for that next pot of coffee and hardtack biscuit. Or laudenum to take away the pain of the pneumonia once you got sick.

I've got a nice roof over my head so I can enjoy the weather out the window while sipping hot coffee and musing over what to cook for lunch today. And today I'll be cooking soup. I'm going to start with the usual French Trinity (onion, carrot, celery), then add mushrooms, potatoes, and chicken stock. Its very healthy. I'll cut up about a pound of mild Italian sausage for the meatballs and primary flavoring. And that will give me a nice simple soup I can eat over the next couple days. Soup and bread will be healthy enough, considering my activity level is low right now. There's not much to do at this point. I'm pretty much waiting or an interview with the County, and I'll try my best to get that job. I think it will be both interesting and good enough pay to live on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed while I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment