Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Atsui!

Its not yet 9 AM and its already 81'F. There's a downslope wind blowing from Nevada. I can't quite smell the sagebrush but there have been times when it was there in the background. The air is clean, but a little on the warm side and I find myself closing up the house. The news says there will probably be thunderstorms in the high Sierra this afternoon. Considering the heat, I agree that is possible.

A job I already applied for has another position up in Chico, so I applied to that one too. Me and 2700 other people. I wouldn't mind living in Chico. Yes, its hot up there, but its also reasonably quiet, being the northern Sacramento Valley, and hosting one of the big college campuses, famous for being a party school, but also for sports medicine and nursing. Chico is also the home of that green bottled IPA, Sierra-Nevada Brewing Company, which started as someone's hobby in the 1970's, brewing beer for the big keggers. Chico State is one of THOSE schools. Chico also has hipsters and an active scooter store. Its got a grid layout for the streets so you can actually get around there, unlike towns built on the Cul-de-sac system which is more efficient use of land and prevents through traffic, but makes cars necessary because they prevent through traffic. Grids are better for the post-oil period. I will keep studying DC electrical so if I get a call, I can pass the tests. I wouldn't mind moving to Chico. Might be more fun than here.
Salmon spawning in Lake Tahoe
I read today in a not especially good news source that more scientists are calling for global cooling as the explanation that sea ice is already covering the Arctic ocean, weeks ahead of schedule, and the lack of hurricanes this year, as well as lower solar output are clear signs of global cooling. They are reaching to claim it will last another 15 years, like the one in the 70's and 80's did, but climate is funny that way. I suppose it is possible. I'd love to see 20 feet of snow on Donner Pass every year. Great for skiing, for the water supply, for here and for Reno. Keeps the fish and boats happy in Lake Tahoe too. Ice pack on the northeastern slopes also provides crucial summer water for the plants up there, meaning there's more for critters to eat and for hikers to photograph. Maybe Azalea Lake would get some Azaleas.

Next time I go down the mountain, I want to drop by my storage space and retrieve some gizmos and hopefully find the floor jack so Dad and I can lift up his truck and fix the parking brake, as well as change our respective oil. Hell, I'd change my oil today if I could. And maybe fix the parking lot dings on Dad's little red car. Its very pretty that car, and very fast while still having all the luxuries but the MP3 player stereo and a GPS. Dad says he doesn't need it, but he didn't need the Kindle till he got one and now he uses it every day. Laying down to read a book is nice, he says. MP3 player stereo is nice because you can put in one disc of MP3s and it just plays for the next 12 hours or so. I should make a better mix, however. I'm kind of tired of the one I've got. I bet Dad would enjoy various Diana Krall tracks. He takes his Jazz seriously.


No comments:

Post a Comment