Saturday, September 21, 2013

Rain, Finally

So the rain from the north Pacific Low Pressure has finally spun up here after all. Yesterday it was building up on the coast and then heading Northeast, missing us by 200 miles. But now, now enough storm has come in, going up from Monterey probably, and across the Valley before climbing the mountains to this little West Virginia looking hollow and its a light patter on the leaves and gentle dripping in the gutters.

Yesterday it went from sunny, breezy, and warm to overcast breezy and warm over the course of the afternoon and evening. I'm going to some career training event thing this morning, then I'm picking up red wine, ginger ale, and coming home to make soup. With any luck there will still be sufficient weather to justify the effort. That isn't always true, after all. Sometimes these rain storms are just a few minutes long before the blow off up the hill, heading north for North San Juan and then Downieville.

Its a pity I'm not a Coder. If I was, I'd have spent the last 10 years coding GIS so Google Earth and Maps programs would be far better, particularly in storing local map data so you're not wasting server time and bandwidth on the same backgrounds over and over again. Most people visit the same places, after all. Do things right, and improve the interface, and most commercial GPS gizmos are semi-obsolete. Not completely. There is good reason for dedicated GPS units. Waterproof being one.

One of the upsides of a Geology degree is cartography is part of the package, part of the training. I understand it very well, and I appreciate it more than most. Google Earth is one of my favorite bits of software ever because it is pan and zoom with aerial photos (not satellite!) and it is the ultimate atlas of the world. I love how amazing the Earth is and while there are many places where there's repitition, there are also places completely unique. Florida is unique. The Andes are unique. Eastern Siberia is unique, and is NOT the same as Alaska. The Persian Gulf is unique, and the mounts of Mali/Algeria are unique. So are the karsts in Southern China. The Sierra Nevada are unique, and despite comparisons between my home of Sonoma (and Napa) county, they are different and unique compared to Provence.

The rain just got heavier. Big drops. The storm reaches 50 miles south to Roseville. If I get a job in Chico, and I move there and get a house to rent, assuming I have sufficient wages and job stability, I'll see if I can live with making my car a little fancier or if I must track down a light sportscar for weekend touring. Yes, its not as fun as a scooter or motorcycle, but apexing turns is great fun and massively safer in a car than on a bike. I KNOW how to apex a turn, and pea gravel and wetness on the road won't kill me like on a bike. Its those extra wheels. I'm not sure what kind of sports car is right for me, but small and light are crucial. I already know that for sure. I might track down a S2000 since they have a really high customer satisfaction rating, and it being the boonies, a convertible isn't an invitation for a box knife to cut it apart, not like in Davis or the Bay Area. I should do some research. I want to enjoy driving while I still can. And maybe I will continue to afford it as electric cars become the norm. We'll see. Rain ended after 5 minutes. See? Ah, there's a bit more. Not near as heavy though.

I've had a thing for the northern Sacramento Valley for years now because there's all this interesting potential up there. Empty store fronts, abandoned but easily fixed up bungalow neighborhoods. Why don't people live there? Jobs. So why don't big companies move there? Inertia. They haven't yet figured out that paying $4/hr more for Bay Area employees who jump ship like Indians because companies kept offshoring thinking jobs and destroyed the potential for Loyalty. If you treat your employees badly, they remember, and they get revenge. Even if its just by quitting your company and leaving you without their critical skillset which your managers undervalued because you weren't careful enough hiring managers without major personality disorders, such as sadism. That kinda thing hurts your bottom line. You have to nurture employees and treat them well if you want them to share major problem solving solutions they devise. You have to pay them properly. No cheating.

There's a big lobe of storm out on the coast range working east finally. Maybe that's our big rain, or maybe it will miss us. Hard to say. I swear I'd watch weather move all day if I could. Its fascinating. They really need to code the national weather service to cross reference prediction against actual to get their model to reality, then use that coding to do their Global Warming predictions. The bigger the variance, the smaller the grant to the "climate scientist" making it. That should help get them to be scientists. For example, if you just found new data, like drilling through ice in Antarctica for the FIRST TIME, you can't treat your discoveries like they're a change. You have one data point. For all you know it has always been like that. Such as the discovery of the Ozone Hole was treated as a change, when it has probably ALWAYS been there and is likely naturally occurring. The fact that it grows and shrinks seasonally is a big clue. Unlike finding water moving under the ice, for the first time ever because it is a new discovery, they have been tracking the growth of sea ice, which is the largest in decades. Sea ice would be a sign of cooling, wouldn't it? But only if the trend continues year after year. The lunatics and cultists want wild action now. With insufficient data and no discipline, no understanding of statistical error or the fact that they're conning each other into higher states of panic because they aren't scientists. They're cultists.

Sedimentary deposition is the study of environments from which they form, also known as stratigraphy. That's an entire discipline in Geology. I saw not one Stratigrapher in the Global Warming Kult fantasy, the IPCC report they love to cite, and has been refuted and attacked by most (2200 of the 2500) of the scientists named on the report without their permission. They really object to having their work taken out of context or having their reputations smeared by bad science. They don't get nearly enough press for that. I'm kinda surprised 60 minutes didn't meet with some of those objectors, and find out why. Its their kind of news, the scandal they like so much. So why isn't the funding of religious kultists a good enough scandal for the news? They should be all over that? After all, we're having normal rain, not much in the way of hurricanes, none of these major extremes that the kultists insisted would happen.

And the K for kult is deliberate. Most of those people are ignorant tards who barely graduated college if they even went, and I suspect that we wouldn't have any of them if we still had standards for passing Critical Thinking to get your diploma. We used to. I think they dropped it after I graduated.

Huge storm passed, and more is coming. Had pea-sized hail, but not enough to cover the ground in white, just here and there. They melted fast. The heavy rain was rushing off the roof and going too fast to roll under the gutter guard. Rain is picking up a bit. This is the light section. There were some thunder booms and a couple lightning flashes I could see. Soup was nixed by Dad, maybe tomorrow. Going with plain mushroom soup coated pork chop instead. We'll have salads and avocado, of course. That's always good to keep your vitamin levels up. Guess its a good thing I didn't buy fancy brown bread after all. I miss that stuff. There was this one soup and salad buffet place, a chain called Fresh Choice, which makes really good brown bread. Its loaded with Thiamine, an essential vitamin I go through five times faster than you do, so it was quite satisfying for my nutritional needs. Would love to figure out how to make that myself.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment