Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Oops

So I started reading a study guide for a job I applied for. I'm astoundingly ignorant on DC electrical. Yes, I haven't had need to use it since college, but its rare for me to forget so much. If colleges actually taught skills instead of whatever it is they're doing these days, folks might have been inventing stuff that mattered. This country might even matter. Instead I'm staring at all this electricity stuff and realizing I don't remember how it works anymore. I feel a degree of shame.

I'm working through the pre-test exam sample questions and visiting online resources. Wikipedia has everything, of course, though not always written in an understandable way.
WISC is better. They have a huge section on explaining how electronics works. Electronics was really my brother's thing, back when we were teenagers. I'm more of a philosopher and art person. Ergo, all the opinions and the photography and statements of "this is right, this is wrong". All artists make decisions and choices as to what is right or wrong. Even with simplest things like the color to paint something or the focal length or the angle. Its the decision making that defines the artist. People with no opinions aren't artists. That's just how it is. You have to believe your decisions are right or you never finish anything.

I want to learn this. There are too many jobs in DC electrical not to learn it. I have the wrong pedigree and language skills for govt. Even if I end up wiring up trailers or motorcycle harnesses, its something.

No comments:

Post a Comment