Saturday, June 29, 2013

Further GPS Device Research

So I've spent the last week reviewing GPSes and finding what folks say about them, and the companies that sell them. The most useful was a review of a Magellan model I'd liked till he pointed out that like me, he was in that industry, and the Magellan was locked down like an Apple product. Keywords there. His eventual recommendation was "get a Garmin". So I went and looked at those, starting with Costco, because they only sell stuff with a low return rate because their return policy is always a loss for them, so they only want to sell things once. That means it better be good, and discounted.

What I found was a bunch of car models with short battery life but reasonably priced and ONE hiking model, a Garmin Dakota 20. I checked reviews and price. Its small and good battery life and decent functions but its got a tiny screen. It reviews reasonably well... but for $40 more, I can get a screen 4x larger, all the useful features (altimeter, waterproof), similar battery life, and a higher rating of customer satisfaction. Why buy two devices when one will do the job? So looks like the Garmin Oregon 450T is the model to get for hiking and Geocaching.

I'm amazed and amused that the teenage daughter of a coworker who helped around my job last week along with her mom, is big into geocaching. We tried to get her Nook to do it. There's an App (of course there's an App), but attempts to get it to sync and locate were merely attempts. I hope its working for her now. She's a nice kid, and her mom is hot, despite complaining of being cold most of the time, while simultaneously displaying toned tattooed skin. It's possible there's a connection there. She probably LOVES this weather. It was 107'F in Roseville today, and 97'F here. Temp is dropping now, only 93'F at this point. She won't feel cold when its like this.

Since I now have a pair of hiking boots (thank you Big5 sales!), as my old ones were worn out, I can do some more strenuous rock hopping and clambering around again. Loch Leven Trail was hard on the feet. Painful. I recovered quickly, however, due to the application of adult beverage following sufficient hydration. Those two prevent muscle soreness and speed recovery. The adult beverage is a muscle relaxant, you see?

Formula One qualifying was in Silverstone today. Very exciting if quick compared to yesterday's practice session, which got rained out. Today was dry. Tomorrow for the race? Who knows. Silverstone is fun that way. Weather is a major factor. The race is at 5 AM PDT, so adjust locally, or just watch the replay later. I plan to get up for it early and watch live. With some hot coffee and a big smile because Formula 1 is fun!

Formula 1, ultramarathons (the Western States 100 is today), rally car racing, and hill climb sprints are sports I respect. I also enjoy America's Cup sailing, but haven't watched it in years. American Le Mans was fun, would totally watch that again. I did watch the 24 hours at Daytona. And I respect and admire "you Suck At Bicycling" expert Danny McAskill who makes the rest of us look clumsy. That's a sport.

I used to follow Tour De France, but its not on regular broadcast so lost in the noise, sad to say. Hardcore distance cycling? That's a sport.

Man and machine. See that pattern? Expert tool users. Not just brute force, but finesse and determination. I like that. I like seeing highlights from Paris-Dakar rally, even though its held in South America now because Africa Sucks. It WAS a bit focussed on sand, to be clear. The Rally should tackle more varied terrain as a proper test of drivers. It was probably better when it started in Paris instead of Portugal. The wrecks and upset were crazy in French traffic, so I do understand. I just don't like it.

I loved watching the Pikes Peak Hill climb, until the 3 people living there sued to have the road paved. Boo! You Suck! Now its ruined.
See? Pavement is wrong. Bad wrong. Badong. Or wrondab! Something like that. It was better with gravel and dirt all the way. 4 wheel drifting was legendary for decades. Now? Its just sad. Its like giving the Tour De France training wheels and speed limits. WTF is wrong with you? Losers!

Finally, a friendly shout out to California's best brewery, Sierra Nevada in Chico, for their tasty Pale Ale, with its excellent hops. Dad bought a case and steaks. They go well together. I feel sorry for vegetarians. You are missing out on the tasty delicious bovine flesh. And having grown up next to a cattle ranch, the very nicest thing you can do to or for a cow is to kill it, cook it, and eat it. They aren't content. They're mean, stinky, foul tempered and smelling beasts. Eating them is the best way to honor their pointless existence turning cellulose into protein and farting endlessly. Foully. Indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment