Sunday, June 30, 2013

Trailer Remodel

New trailers and RVs are stupid expensive. They cost like houses. This is because the people who buy them are nuts, having sold their homes and retired, they don't care that the RV is the same price. They want comfort and screw the cost.

I'm not that guy. I want affordable, because I work for a living. And I want light, so I can pull it behind a normalish vehicle, like a pickup truck or Uhaul. A Uhaul as a toy vehicle for a Trailer is a good idea, actually. A blinding flash of the obvious. Maybe I'll send that to my survivalist friend as the counter argument to the Bunker he prefers. This town is a tough sell if you're not rich to start with. Wages are low, jobs are few, the economy is largely retail, which only works if you have a market that's actually buying what you sell for more than it cost you to make, including wages of the employees. Iffy. Its very iffy.
Working at just above minimum wage in the real world means you don't have money to set aside, money to buy a trailer to move into and get out of a bad economic situation. Looking at my own situation, the smart move is to sell all my furniture, sell off my books and such, and most of the movies or donate them to friends. This ain't a suicide, just reducing the amount of expensive crap to move somewhere smarter or better than here. Every pound costs money, in the size of the truck, the gas to climb those passes. It won't be cheap, a move. I updated my resume but the so called "better economy" is still crap everywhere. Better is relative. How do you budget for living expenses when you can't find a job in the first place? Look at it rationally, this situation is going to last till I can land something better, and that won't happen so long as delusional people are in charge of the economy.

Really, with the job market this bad, the best I can do is save my pennies, stay busy without expending resources, and wait for life to stop kicking me in the nuts. Get some usable job skills which mean something in enough places that mobility still has value.

 As you can see, paying for a trailer is hard. You need a job, at least part time, with sufficient pay to cover rent, utilities, food, and repairs and fuel to move to your next town. When you live in a trailer, people assume you're trash, and they might be right. You might be choosing to be trash by refusing to stand your ground and die like they are, inch by inch as their town falls apart in this end of the world economy. Packing up your plastic lawn chairs, hitching up the trailer to the truck and driving away probably feels like you're abandoning them, and all their painful (and likely fatal) uses for you as things get tougher for them. Don't you want to stay and get raked over the coals, be exploited and enslaved into escape-proof poverty? This is why I always recommend living without debts. Better to be poor and free than poor and under the thumb of others for a few miserable little toys and their associated debt.

I wonder how good your insulation needs to be to get through a winter in Spokane? And a summer in Arizona or Bakersfield? Does the cost of a trailer exceed the operating costs of an apartment and income limitations? Is a trailer actually economically unfeasible? More research must be done. Probably with spreadsheets, and math.

No comments:

Post a Comment