Sunday, June 9, 2013

Loch Leven

Today I went for a hike in the Sierras. Taking the Big Bend exit off I-80, turn East (uphill) and go about a mile to the trailhead, the only parking lot on the road with just a pit toilet building. The trailhead begins there, heading up the mountain.

And up.

And up.

And up.
That ribbon of gray is I-80.
Its around 1200 feet of climb. I recommend 2 liters of water, a full lunch because you'll burn a ton of calories, and serious hiking boots with firm soles because you'll feel every rock otherwise. My hiking shoes are done for. I need new ones. My feet ache from all those rocks and boulders I climbed to get to the lake. This lake.
Go ahead. Be jealous. And the water was warm too. People went swimming. I wasn't one of them.
I got bit by mosquitoes taking this picture for you. Be grateful. 
Notice the thunderstorms forming?
We headed back down the mountain after eating lunch.
These storms intensified as we dropped in elevation.
Yes, railfans, the Loch Leven trail climbs about 800 feet before suddenly crossing the main line through the Sierras. There's a lot of pretty spots on the trail, but the climb is really exhausting so you may not appreciate them completely. It might be a good idea to bring an Ace bandage in case you twist an ankle on the boulders and tree roots you'll be climbing.
Where the lines are close together? That means "steep".

No comments:

Post a Comment