Thursday, November 21, 2013

Weather: Gales

We're supposed to get strong, gale force, winds today in the Sierras and the Sacramento Valley down the hill. The snow storm that formed out of the rains yesterday now stretches from Tahoe to Nebraska, with snow falling over about a fifth of Nevada as I write this. The national weather service and the local broadcast TV news say we'll have 30 mph winds and 60 mph gusts today, and warn it could make the power go out from downed tree branches. It will also be cold, with an expected high of 55'F. They advise we stay indoors and off the roads so utility and emergency vehicles can deal with the storm. Good advice, I think. I have a bunch of paperbacks I can read if the power goes out while its still light today. I will probably walk in this weather later, since I enjoy wind and have the right clothes to keep warm through it.

This will be a good day for soup, I think. Thanks to having a gas range, I can cook whether the power works or not. Dad typically likes clam chowder on a day like this. Perhaps I'll ask him to pick up ingredients or just buy some canned and a fresh loaf of sourdough. Or maybe I'll surprise him and buy it myself.

I hope everyone is treating their weather with the proper respect. It can be really dangerous for those who don't.

10 AM Update. Went for a walk. The shadows where the breeze is gusting are COLD. The jacket is great at stopping it, but I'm glad I dressed in layers with a knit cap. Aren't those the greatest when its not raining? Came back, helped my elderly neighbor, turned down money but asked for cookies, as she likes to bake. Swept leaves off the walkway and then polished more spots off my car paint. The more you clean the paint, to more spots you can see. Its this terrible... thing. It does, however, make the paint resist water really well so it beads up once you're done polishing a place. This is extra special because when its super cold like this, any standing water will grow something awesome called Hoarfrost, a sort of tall patterned ice which grows up to an inch high and is actually sharp enough to cut you, like a serrated knife blade on edge. Fun stuff when you're trying to go to work in the morning. Yeah, that was a big motivator to move down the mountain, actually, last time I was here 10 years ago. We have brilliant, sharp blue skies, golden and red leaves falling off of trees, and great visibility. Compared to yesterday's slippery roads and misty rain soaking everyone and everything out in it? This is great. I just hope that falling limbs don't kill my electric power.

Friday AM update:
Winds died off when they were supposed to get stronger. No power outages, nothing much but cold clear air. The stupid Accuweather station claims there's an 18 mph east wind but the air is dead still. And its 7 degrees colder than they claim. They need to get that one replaced. Humidity is down to 32% next to my house, so it may actually be 11% out in the open. Its nosebleed weather. I had a bad one yesterday after dinner. Most of the rain soaked stuff is all dried up, at least what I can see. That's how our rains often go. Rain followed by icy air from Alaska. Usually dry so we don't get ice on the roads but rooftops would be common. Its still too warm for frost. I plan for a walk later, see if I can get some pictures.

Later AM update:
Wind came up and its blowing and gusting like yesterday.

2 PM Update:
Spotted remains of a 60 foot tall pine down and cut into logs on the side of East Main Street, next to Chapa De Indian Health Clinic. Not sure if that means local Indians, who were mostly genocided by miners 150 years ago, or Hindus so that's Ayurveda? Its baffling. Anyway, tree is down, pushed to the side of the road into the bike lane so I'm glad I was in my car. Gusts are surging from 10 mph hissing in the trees to 45 mph gusts blowing leaves into swirls, surging back and forth madly. I've already retrieved a downed branch from the lawn. I expect much of the remaining dead wood up there will fall today or tomorrow. I hope nothing important breaks. The weirdest part is its not cold, up to 66'F in the shade. But it's VERY dry, down to 18% humidity and my nose is tight after a short walk out there. Hell of a thing. This is the sort of weather that flips over sailboats in the bay and gets a Small Craft Advisory (meaning you'll capsize and drown so stay in the harbor with your sails down). Its also very pretty and sunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment